Monday, December 6, 2010

Writing a blog on your boss's demand

Yeah. If you are surprised by this title well then I am not kidding. My Boss did indeed ask me to blog on how my internship is going at NCR Corp(He had no task to give me and his idea of 'chilling' is blogging). Its just been a week in running of internship. If you don't know what NCR is please Wiki it and kindly increase your general knowledge =D. Anyway so 'internship' the big word in every university going human's life. Where to intern? How to market yourself? Is your CV bomb enough? Did you make an impression? A never ending line of questions. Lesson learned: Internships are overly exaggerated(I am not kidding).

At my university you get ample opportunities to apply for internship( I am talking in reference with the holiday break time). After applying to many organisation not related to my discipline(its a complete different story that I shall cover in a separate blog) I finally relented to applying one related to my field. I was called for interview completely convinced I won't make it. The whole 'I-aint-a-Coder' slogan literally yells out aloud when you are a system engineering applying to such a firm. Well I got in. Lesson learned: Don't underestimate yourself.

My first few days started with me banging my head (figuratively) on the PHP language. Tutorial searches I am pretty sure I am an expert at that by now. Anyway I did learn some basics. For a person who is revolted by just the sight of the Turbo C programming book its a great feat believe me. Lesson learned: PHP isnt that difficult.

Later I did step on some toes when I announced that this is something I can do at home too. I was after a lot of discussion in fancy conference room was give in options in what to do.I opted Technical Documentations(trusting my writer's instinct and betting on it)Lesson learned: Don't suggest-it bites back.

I found I do enjoy Technical Documentation. I find it fun. Overall I am enjoying my time here although I would appreciate other interns's company. I am the only intern at NCR. The people are friendly and easy to talk to. My cubicle is I guess the most clean one - cause Duh I don't do much work. Lesson Learned: You might enjoy something you thought not.

Sometimes there is lot of yawning and I am tempted to fall flat asleep on my face but then there is always lots of tea consumption. Lesson Learned: Now I know what Dad meant by heavy tea consumption.

Overall I like my time here... lets see how the rest of the time goes.

2 comments:

  1. Anam, This is a hilarious one and loved the sarcasm! But this line "Lesson learned: Don't suggest-it bites back." is provoking me to have another career counseling session in that fancy conference room!! :P

    Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha very funny...another Career Counselling session would just make me more sorry for being in system engineering =D and hey not everything was an intended sarcasm! =p

    ReplyDelete