Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The little league of Catch-22s


Today I started my internship. Although I was excited on the fact that I finally landed an internship in a prestigious corporation (not naming it for ethical reasons) that nag at the back of my mind kept popping up. 'Anam are you doing the right thing?' .. 'Is it meant for you?' ..'Do you really want it?'. As I kept on answering the 'nagger' in my mind I realize what a mess of choices we all make daily... well not mess but then we hope our gamble pays off in the end.

A choice comes with strange faces. Sometimes there is a choice between two things and sometimes many. All these choices hang in the balance of priority, benefit and satisfaction. Which task holds more weightage, from what do I get the most? and the most important - is it right?

There is a phrase called 'Catch-22' originated from the book of the same name by Joseph Heller, a military novel. Catch-22 means coming full circle without any choice, lose-lose situation or simple no choice situation. The novel depicts in a dark satirical humor how soldiers to quit force would want to pretend insane but being sane they would have to stay in the force. A crazy won't claim to be insane, whereas the sane one wouldn't want to be known as crazy.The peace for a soldier is that in the battle he fights hence technically having no choice.

At times I feel my life is a classic example of Catch-22, wanting to be a decent writer and studying to be a system engineer is a wonder enough. I am pretty sure there are many out there like me who studied something else wanting to be someone else at the same time. May it be because of folk pressure, no judgement and no career choice at that time. But in some absurd sense we are a classic example of Catch-22.

So to the league of Catch-22. I hope you do get what you set out to achieve even though you started off on the wrong foot. So what!? Life is full of crossroads and choices. Pay up on the risk and gamble off your opportunities. Prove that you arent in the league of Catch-22. Cause they say 'Playing it safe doesn't stop bad things from happening, so you might as well go for it'.

Go for it!




No comments:

Post a Comment